By Azeez Ridwan
The Federation of Iwoland Students Union has stated her readiness to stage a peaceful protest following poor representation of the entire people of Iwo and zero funding of the Student body.
The President Akin Iromini has, in a Press release made today, stated categorically that a protest will ensue upon the lapse of the ultimatum given by representatives of the Local Government Authority of Iwoland as an agreement reached in the last memorandum of understanding.
The press release goes as follows:
FEDERATION OF IWOLAND STUDENTS’ UNION NHQ
RESOLUTION OF THE FILSU CONGRESS HELD ON SATURDAY, 17TH OF OCTOBER, 2020*
The meeting commenced at 5:12pm upon the motion moved by Hon. Hussain AbdulHakeem and seconded by Hon. Sodeeq – Innocent-Boy. The commencement prayer was said by Hon. Efficient after which introduction was done and thereafter recitation of Anthems.
The President, Sen. Akinkunmi Iromini tendered the agenda of the Congress before all the present congressmen. He gave report of the state of the Union projects, as well as the update on the demands of the Union from the Local Government, LCDAs and all political office holders due to their low performance and inadequate representation. The President informed the Congressmen that the Chairman of the Iwo Local Government, Hon. Kamorudeen Raji summoned the Union’s Leadership to a meeting and gave the Union a sum of #150,000 to support the Union on its ongoing projects in partial fulfillment of the agreement between the Union and the Chairmen of the Local Government and the two LCDAs.
He however noted that nothing has been heard from the other Chairmen of the LCDAs.
After a lengthy and thorough deliberations by the Congressmen, the Congress therefore resolved as follows:
1. That the Union should champion public peaceful demonstration against the poor administration, representation both at national and state level and bad leadership in Iwo Local Government and the two LCDAs.
2. That the demonstration should be in phases.
3. That the first phase of the protest by the Union should be an all-out one against the woeful performance of the Local Government and the two LCDAs which shall hold any day upon the expiration of the agreed period between the Union and the LG & LCDAs on 21st October, 2020.
4. That the General Secretary, Hon. Alaloye, should continue the countdown and immediately combine same with the awareness on the imminent protest in order to adequately carry the public along.
5. That the Union should orientate every member of the Union on the objectives of the protest and ensure they stick to same to ensure the protest is not overtaken by people with pecuniary interest which could defeat the objectives.
6. That the Union should inform the general public sufficiently that the protest is distinct from the #EndSARS and in fact does not have any colouration of same.
7. That respective Chapter Presidents should be well communicated to mobilize their members for the protest.
8. That the modalities on the execution of the protest will be communicated soon.
9. That the Union shall ensure anybody with the motive to derail the objective of the protest, which is solely against poor leadership and poor governance in Iwo, will be handed over to security operatives.
AKINKUNMI ISMAIL IROMINI
IMRAN SULAIMAN OLAMILEKAN
We published this story on NEWS LIVE with very minimal editing so as to preserve the original voice and thoughts of the author.
Donate to News Live
Your donation will be much appreciated. It will help our journalistic efforts.